We first tasted this hot avocado dish in our local Italian restaurant and it soon became a regular at the Fitter Food table. We often serve this simply with pan fried fish or roast chicken stuffed with fresh herbs.
Baked Italian Avocado
- 1 large or 2 medium avocados
- A cup of passata (enough to cover and create a sauce for the avocado)
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- Handful of olives (preserved in olive oil) sliced
- Handful fresh basil leaves torn
- Peel the avocados, slice in half (remove the stone obviously!) and place the halves in a baking dish.
- Place the passata in a bowl and stir in the mixed herbs, basil, chopped garlic and sliced olives, mix well.
- Pour the passata mixture over the avocado, it should completely cover the avocado (you can always add extra passata if needed).
- Bake in the oven on 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes. A great side dish or quick veggie supper.
Top Tip: Top with grated parmesan or feta cheese before baking in the oven.