Inspired by the infamous Bakewell Tart this sticky, moist cake is best served post workout or just with a cuppa!
Paleo Berry Bakewell Cake
- 225g ground almonds
- 150g of coconut sugar or 100g raw honey
- 300g fresh berries : we have tried this with raspberries or fresh cherries sliced in half (stones removed).The raspberries came out tops!
- 4 eggs
- 175g unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons of almond essence
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2-3 tablespoons of flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C/325 ° F/gas mark 3.
- Line a 9 1/2 inch cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat the eggs, butter and coconut sugar/honey in a food processor or with a hand whisk.
- Add the ground almonds, vanilla essence, almond essence and bicarbonate of soda and continue to mix.
- Stir in the fruit and place the mixture in the cake tin. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. You can check the cake by inserting a knife into the middle, once cooked it should come out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving.