This butternut and black bean casserole is full of fibre, phytonutrients and of course, taste! It’s versatile enough to be served as a lunch or dinner on its own or as a side dish. Prepare the night before and reheat the next day to make life a little easier.
Butternut and Black Bean Casserole
- ½ butternut squash, peeled and chopped (around 300g)
- 200g black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 100g green beans
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 500g passata
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Handful fresh coriander
- Warm the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the passata and lemon juice and combine the ingredients well. Add chilli, cumin and coriander and stir again.
- Finally add the green beans, black beans and butternut squash.
- Cover with a little more passata or water if needed and simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes or until the squash is soft.