Butternut Squash and Chicken Casserole
- 1 litre chicken stock or bone broth
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1kg chicken (breast and thigh), chopped into chunks
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tsp mixed herbs
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (around 1.5 tsp salt)
- 2 tsps tapioca flour/cornflour or arrowroot mixed with water to thicken
- Place a small amount of broth in a casserole dish and sautee the onions and garlic for 5 minutes, add the chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the squash, celery, carrots and herbs and cover with the remaining stock, season with salat and pepper and bring the boil.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 35-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Before serving thicken with either tapioca, arrowroot or cornflour until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.