This dish was created by Claire Harding, our mentor on Fitter 365. She uses this recipe as a sneaky way of getting the whole family to eat more organ meats. Chicken liver is milder than other organ meats so you can add slightly more in the mix without it being detected.
Cheeky Chicken Pops
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 chicken breasts or 5 chicken thighs
- 225g chicken liver
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- pinch of Himalayan or Celtic sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- 2 eggs whisked
- 200g ground almonds
- Set the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Chop the liver finely or blitz in the food processor.
- Mince or blitz the chicken
- Place chicken, liver and tomato purée and salt and pepper in a large bowl and mix together.
- Form into small meatballs of about 1.5-3 inches in diameter.
- Roll the ball into the egg first then into the ground almonds to coat the ball completely.
- Melt some butter/ ghee in the bottom of a large baking tray by placing it in the warm oven for 3-5minutes.
- Place the balls into the baking tray and cook for 15-20 minutes turning them half way through.
- Serve with spicy sweet potato wedges, sauerkraut and Quick Kickin Ketchup. Boom!.