Our tasty harissa sweet potato chicken is the perfect dish for a cold autumn evening. We’ve included chicken but if you’d prefer a vegetarian option the chickpeas will still provide a good source of protein.
Harissa Sweet Potato Chicken
- 750ml chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 2 heaped tsp. harrisa spice
- ½ tsp cumin
- 400g chicken breast or thigh meat, chopped
- 200g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tsp. salt
- Arrowroot, tapioca or cornflour, mixed into a paste with water,to thicken (as desired)
- Place a small amount of broth or stock in a saucepan and sauté the onions, garlic, pepper, harissa and cumin for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, chickpeas and sweet potato and cover with broth and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 35–40 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Before serving add the lemon juice, thicken with either tapioca, arrowroot or cornflour until the sauce reaches your desired consistency.