Most of you now know at Fitter Food we are partial to the odd scotch egg, and why the hell not! When we make them we use top quality ingredients and they are full of nutritional goodness! Nom.
Mexican Style Lamb Scotch Eggs
- 800g lamb mince
- 10 eggs
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- Handful of jalepenos finely chopped (well drained and dabbed with kitchen towel to get rid of excessive moisture)
- Large handful of fresh coriander roughly chopped
- 3 heaped tsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne chilli
- 1 tsp garlic flakes or 2 fresh garlic finely chopped
- Good pinch of pink salt
- 100g of ground almonds
- Pre heat the oven to 180c.
- Mix The lamb, green pepper, jalepenos, coriander, tomato puree, paprika, oregano, cayenne, garlic and salt in a large bowl and mix well using your hands. Be sure to thoroughly combine all the ingredients.
- Keep 2 eggs to one side for the coating but soft boil the other 6. Bring some water in a saucepan to the boil, add your eggs and bring to the boil again and do so for 3 mins. After 3 mins immediately add them to a bowl of cold water so it stops them cooking even more (this is an attempt to keep a slightly runny or at least a soft yolk). Make sure you start the 3 mins once the eggs are boiling and not before as they won’t cook long enough.
- Spread your ground almonds out on a plate and beat the other 2 eggs in a bowl. You are now ready to make the scotch eggs.
- Remove the shells from your eggs. Shape the meat around the egg, keep moulding it and pushing the gaps together with your fingers. Splash your fingers in some cold water whilst moulding the meat around the eggs, it makes it a lot easier to do. Repeat until all eggs are covered. The meat layer should be roughly 1cm thick. If its too thin the meat will split when in the oven.
- Then one by one roll the eggs in the beaten egg then role it in the ground almonds to coat them completely.
- Place them in an oven dish ideally on some sort of grill tray so the juices can drip down from the scotch eggs. Place in the oven and cook for 25 mins or until cooked through.
- These are a great dinner fresh out the oven but we can assure you are amazing cold. Had one for breakfast this morning, such a tasty and nutritious start to the day 🙂