We love our slow cooker and we love pork, which means it’s no surprise we love pulled pork. This dish is simple, bursting with flavour and coming home to such an aroma is simply phenomenal. The ingredients list is short and this can be put on before you go to work so it’s ready as soon as you get in.
Perfect Pulled Pork
- 4 tbsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1-2 tsp cayenne chilli powder (depending on how much kick you like)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 heaped tbsp organic honey (we used manuka but this can be expensive)
- 2 large onions peeled and chopped
- 2 kg boneless pork shoulder cut in half and with fat removed (you can use this to make crackling if you wish)
- Mix the paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, thyme, salt and pepper in a bowl with a fork before adding the olive oil, apple cider vinegar and honey and mix again to form a paste.
- Place the chopped onion in the bottom of the slow cooker and spread it out before laying the 2 pieces of pork on top.
- Pour the paste mixture over the top of the pork and ensure you use a spoon to get every bit out of the bowl and then cover as much of the pork as possible with the paste.
- Turn the slow cooker on to a low setting and cook for 8 hours or until the pork is tender enough for you to get you’re shred on with a fork.
- You can either use a fork to shred the pork whilst it’s in the slow cooker and then mix it with the onions and juices or you can remove the pork from the slow cooker, shred it and then use the onions as a topping.
- Serve with some rice, potatoes or an iceberg lettuce wraps.