After a lovely evening at a local Italian restaurant the after dinner (decaf) espresso was served with the chef’s special dark chocolate truffles. They were delicious and inspired us to create these power truffles with natural sweeteners, healthy fats and an added protein hit.
- 80g desiccated coconut
- 140g ground flaxseed
- 110g vanilla protein powder (we used vanilla Sunwarrior)
- 2 tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 4 dates (soften in water for 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50g cocoa powder
- Place the coconut oil, dates, sweetener, almond and vanilla extract in a food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms. Add the protein powder, coconut, flaxseed and cocoa powder and mix again. A sticky, truffle like mixture will form.
- Place some cocoa powder or desiccated coconut on a wooden board. Take small handfuls of the mixture and roll into truffle sized balls and roll in cocoa or coconut.
- Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving with a double espresso, BOSH!