Lets face it a good old roast chicken always goes down a treat but a great way to take it to the next level is by making some pimped up stuffing to go with. We got inspiration for this after seeing chorizo in a stuffing recipe but we have adapted it to make it Fitter Food friendly of course. Perfect for an Easter family roast or a roast in general to be honest.
Roast Chicken With Chorizo, Cauliflower & Onion Stuffing
- 1 heaped tsp of coconut oil
- 2-3 chorizo sausages finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium cauliflower blitzed in the food processor until rice like
- 3 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tsp thyme
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 medium chicken
- Small knob of butter to rub over the chicken
- Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre heat the oven to 200c.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat and add the chorizo and cook for 2-3 mins until it starts to brown before adding the onion, stirring and cooking for another 3 mins until the onion softens.
- Now add the garlic, cauliflower, smoked paprika, thyme, lemon zest and juice and stir through and cook for about 5 mins.
- As this cooks through rub your chicken with the butter and once fully coated top it with the salt and pepper.
- Now using a spoon add the stuffing mixture inside the chicken, really cram as much in as you possibly can before placing the chicken in the oven.
- Cook on 200c for 30 mins to crisp the skin a bit then turn down to 175c and cook for a further 60 mins or until cooked.
Cooking time may vary depending on oven type.
If there is some of the stuffing mixture left over simply cook it a little longer in the pan and have as a chorizo and cauliflower rice side dish to another meal or add to this one of course.