Wow, the weather is so hot right now and we love it. Its the perfect time to get creative with some refreshing salad recipes. This salad is great on it’s own or as a side to any meat or fish. The orange compliments the carrots perfectly and the spices on the chicken balance nicely with the refreshingly crisp salad. It’s so easy to do too.
Spicy Chicken With A Carrot, Fennel & Orange Salad
For the chicken:
- 2 chicken breasts with skin and wings still on
- 1/2 tsp cayenne chilli
- 1/2 tsp paprika<
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of pink salt
For the salad:
- 1 bulb of fennel finely chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and then cut with a peeler into long strips
- Large handful of spinach chopped
- Juice of 1/2 – 1 orange
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Pre heat the oven to 180c.
- Mix the cayenne, paprika, garlic, thyme, lemon juice, olive oil and salt in a bowl until it forms a paste like texture. Then coat it all over your your chicken before placing in the oven to cook for about 40 mins although cooking times may vary. If you have time to marinade even better.
- Whilst the chicken cooks you can prep your salad. Mix the orange juice and olive oil together in a salad bowl before adding the carrots, spinach and fennel and mixing it together. Ensure it is fully covered in the dressing. Now add the fresh coriander and mix in again.
- Once your chicken has finished cooking, leave to stand for a few minutes before cutting the meat off and adding it to the salad.
- Top again with some fresh coriander and if you have some add some toasted pumpkin seeds.
If you fancy it add some orange chunks to the salad too without the skin of course and some feta cheese. Very refreshing 🙂