Jerk chicken is one of my favourite ways to have chicken, the best bit is you can always play around with the flavours to meet your palate, depending on whether you like it a little sweeter or with more of a kick. I love spicy food but Keris on the other hand is a bit of a wuss when it comes to dialling up the heat. That said I made these thighs with the best of both in mind – with a little kick but complemented by something sweet!
Sweet Jerk Chicken Thighs
- 3 inches of ginger peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 heaped tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 tbsp clear honey or coconut sugar
- 1/2 – 1 red chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- Pinch of Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs
- Pre heat the oven to 190°C.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together to form a paste like consistency in a shallow dish before adding the chicken and coating thoroughly.
- Ideally leave to marinade for a couple of hours or over night for maximal flavour but its not essential.
- Place the chicken on a grill tray on the top shelf of the oven and cook for 30-35 mins. The skin should be a little crispy.
- Enjoy with some chunky sweet potato wedges.