A great recipe to batch cook at the weekend so you can enjoy leftovers as a hearty weekday supper.
Venison & Root Vegetable Stew
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 small swede peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 4 celery sticks chopped
- 2 onions roughly chopped
- 1kg cubed venison
- 450ml dry red wine (we used Rioja)
- 450ml beef stock
- 4 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Himalayan pink salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4
- Heat 3 tbsp of the olive oil in a heavy duty casserole dish on a medium heat and add the garlic, swede, parsnips, carrots, celery and onions and cook for 4-5 minutes stirring occasionally, then turn the heat down.
- In a separate large pan heat the remaining olive oil on a high heat and add the cubed venison, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add the browned venison to the casserole dish with the vegetables, season with salt and pepper and stir through.
- Add the stock and wine to pan you cooked the venison in and heat through a little before adding to the casserole dish along with the thyme, bay leaf, a little more seasoning and stir.
- Bring to a simmer before covering and placing the dish in the pre heated oven to cook for around 90 minutes or until the meat is cooked to your liking.
- Check the seasoning by tasting one more time and serve.