- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 dice sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 400ml water
- 300g red lentils, rinsed and drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat before adding the onion, garlic, ginger and cooking for a few minutes until the onions begin to soften.
- Add all the spices and seasoning, stir and cook for a few more minutes. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, water, lentils and lemon juice, stir before bringing to the boil and simmering for 25–30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add a little more water or stock if needed.
- Finally add the spinach, allow to wilt before stirring into the dahl and serve.