- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced (or substitute 2 stalks celery)
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 800ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tins cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 200g baby spinach or chopped kale
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat. Add the fennel, carrots, leek, red pepper and sauté for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, herbs and rosemary. Cook for another minute.
- Add the stock, beans and salt. Bring to the boil and then turn the heat down to low and then add the spinach (or kale). Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, pepper and vinegar. Taste and season further if needed.
- Serve as a thick, chunky soup or use a hand blender to blitz into a smoother soup.