This aubergine and chickpea curry is packed with fibre, a healthy dose of greens and the anti-inflammatory spices ensure that it’s full of flavour.
Aubergine and Chickpea Curry
- 2 large bags spinach
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 dice–sized cube of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 red onion, peeled and sliced
- 250g chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2–3 hot green chillies, finely chopped including the seeds
- Large handful of kale, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 large aubergine, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Steam or boil the spinach for a couple of minutes, then run it under cool water before squeezing it gently to remove excess water. Place it in a food processor and blitz into a slightly chunky purée. Set aside.
- Heat half the olive oil in a saucepan on a medium heat before adding the garlic, ginger, onions, chickpeas, chillies, kale, cumin and coriander and stir. Cook for around 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining olive oil and the aubergine and mix all the ingredients together. Cook for about 8–10 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper and stir through.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the aubergine is soft.
- Stir in the spinach purée just before serving and enjoy.