These simple, tasty and effective bars are a great protein snack on the go or as a nutritious sweet treat after your meal. With minimal ingredients and maximum flavour these bars a are a winner that anyone can make in no time.
Chocolate Orange Protein Bars
- 50g natural whey protein (unflavoured or you can use vanilla)
- 90g ground almonds
- 25g coconut flour
- 1 tbsp orange extract
- 80-100ml almond milk (unsweetened)
- 50g dark chocolate, 85% cocoa, melted
- Optional: stevia drops, xylitol or honey to taste.
- Feel free to add a little more orange essence to the melted chocolate too
- Place the whey, almonds and coconut flour in a large bowl and mix together.
- Add the orange extract and SLOWLY add the almond milk little by little. You want to avoid the mixture becoming to soggy so start by adding half the amount and mix with your hands, then add a little more until the mixture forms a doughy paste that you can shape into bars without it sticking to your hands. If it gets too soggy add some more ground almonds, if the mixture isn’t sticking together add a little more almond milk.
- Once combined shape into 4 bars before placing on some greaseproof paper or a plate and popping into the freezer to firm up a little.
- Break the chocolate up into a heatproof bowl and melt in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. If using a microwave be sure to check it regularly to ensure the chocolate does not burn.
- Dip each bar into the melted chocolate and coat thoroughly, as the bars are now cold the chocolate should set pretty quickly.
- Once covered place in the fridge ready for later.