In honour of the festive period, we thought we’d treat you to this delicious, moist fruit cake, jam packed with fruit and spices. The perfect side to an afternoon cuppa! Enjoy.
Crumbly Christmas Fruit Cake
- 600g mixed fruit (e.g. sultanas, raisins, apricots, dates etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp nutmeg
- Zest and juice of one orange
- 200g ground almonds
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 50g walnuts
- 20cm/8” cake tin
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/gas mark 2.
- Line an 8” cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Add the eggs to a food processor or bowl and lightly beat until pale and frothy.
- Add the melted butter, fruit and spices, and mix well.
- Add the walnuts and ground almonds and mix. If using a food processor, only mix for a short period of time to combine ingredients and be careful not to blend the fruit and nuts too much as they may liquidise.
- Pour the cake batter into the pre-prepared cake tin and cook for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then serve with double cream.