- 2 small fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
500g carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved (or substitute any fresh tomatoes)
- 600ml chicken, beef or
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black
- 200g spinach
- Place all the ingredients, except the spinach, in a large saucepan on a high heat.
- Ensure the vegetables are covered by the stock (if not add a little more). Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 45–55 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ideally allow the stock to reduce down into a sweet, sticky sauce (chicken or beef stock is best for this).
- Once the vegetables are soft and the stock has reduced, stir in the spinach and allow to wilt for 2–3 minutes. Taste and add extra garlic powder, vinegar, salt and pepper if desired and serve.