Sweet Potato Chocolate Chilli
- 3–4 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil for cooking
- 2–3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1–2 red medium hot chillies, deseeded and finely chopped (depending on how hot you like your chilli)
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne chilli
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 x 400g tin cannelli beans or kidney beans (optional, if tolerated)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 30g dark chocolate (85% cocoa)
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Celtic Sea or Himalayan Pink salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Place the potatoes on a baking tray and coat with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until cooked and slightly crispy around the edges.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat some more olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, peppers, garlic and chillies, stir and cook for around 5 minutes.
- Add the cayenne, paprika, cumin and cinnamon, stir through and cook for a few more minutes before adding the beans and tomatoes.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer lightly for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the sauce starts to become too thick, add a little water.
- Add the chocolate and stir through before adding most of the coriander (save a little for the topping). Add the sweet potatoes and more seasoning if required, then stir again.
- Serve topped with the remaining coriander.