These are great as individual bites or as a homemade energy bar. They work really well as a pre or post-workout snack or just as a little ‘pick me up’ on a busy day! A great recipe for a homemade energy bar. These are awesome to have pre or post workout or as a little ‘pick me up’.
Coffee and Walnut Brownie Bites
- 75g Walnuts
- 50g Cashews
- 50g Freshly ground flaxseed. Ideally buy organic whole flaxseed and grind yourself in a coffee grinder (it turns rancid quickly if ready ground).
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 50g 85%-90% dark chocolate melted
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly ground coffee (depends on how much you like coffee!)
- 1 scoop protein powder (use whey or any vegan blend of rice, pea, ect)
- 4-5 dates
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Desiccated coconut (to coat the brownies)
- Place the nuts and flaxseed in a food processor and blend until almost consistency of flour with a few chunkier nuts. Set aside.
- Place the dates in a food processor and blend until they form a paste. Add the coconut oil and melted chocolate (we use 90% as we like a strong cocoa taste).
- Add the coffee and protein powder to the date mixture and blend.
- Slowly start to add in the nuts. Keep the food processor running and add them a little at a time.
- Task 1: Get the taste right! If the mixture isn’t sweet enough add more dates, we tend not to make these too sweet and prefer to enhance the coffee or cocoa flavour. Lemon juice and desiccated coconut can also add extra sweetness.
- Task 2: Get the texture right! You want to be able to grab the mixture and roll into balls then coat with desiccated coconut. If it’s falling apart you can add more coconut oil, a dash of water, extra dried fruit to make it a stickier consistency. If it’s a little too greasy or soggy add extra dry ingredients (nuts, flax or protein powder).
- Task 3: Experiment These ingredients are just a suggestion, experiment yourself. Other combo’s we have loved include: Lemon zest and ginger powder/Macadamia and desiccated coconut/Hazelnut butter and cocoa/Dried apricot and toasted almonds