- Soak the gammon joint in cold water for a couple of hours or overnight if possible, then drain.
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set to high for 7 hours.
- Remove the gammon and chop or shred with two forks. If the sauce needs thickening you can cook a little longer in the slow cooker
(or on a hob) or simply stir in a thickening agent (e.g. corn flour or tapioca flour).
- Return the shredded gammon to the sauce and and serve.
For an Oven Cooked Version
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C/ 350F / gas 4.
- Place a large casserole dish on the hob on a medium heat and add all the ingredients. Mix well, bring to a boil and then cover.
- Place the casserole dish in the pre heated oven to cook for 3 hrs.
- Transfer the gammon to a plate and shred with two forks.
- Return the shredded gammon to the casserole dish, stir and serve.