Fitter Campfire Stew
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 7 hours
- Serves: 6
- 750g gammon joint (fat removed)
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 400g tins cannellini beans, drained
- 700g passata
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper deseeded and chopped
- 100 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 120g tomato puree
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- Soak the gammon joint in cold water for a couple of hours or overnight if possible, then drain.
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and set to high for 7 hours.
- Remove the gammon and chop or shred with two forks. If the sauce needs thickening you can cook a little longer in the slow cooker
(or on a hob) or simply stir in a thickening agent (e.g. corn flour or tapioca flour).
- Return the shredded gammon to the sauce and and serve.
- Preheat oven to fan assisted 160C / 180C/ 350F / gas 4.
- Place a large casserole dish on the hob on a medium heat and add all the ingredients. Mix well, bring to a boil and then cover.
- Place the casserole dish in the pre heated oven to cook for 3 hrs.
- Transfer the gammon to a plate and shred with two forks.
- Return the shredded gammon to the casserole dish, stir and serve.
For an Oven Cooked Version
Chunky Chick Pea Stew
Fitter Peanut Butter Fondue
Baked Bean Stew
Mediterranean Fish Stew
Fitter Footy Pizza