Caribbean Peanut Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 inch cube root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
- 300ml chicken stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaped tsp xylitol or honey
- Salt and pepper
- 4 skinless thighs, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish and add the garlic, onion, chilli, ginger, peppers and carrots and stir fry for 4-5 minutes. Add the plum tomatoes and allow to soften.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the chicken. Bring to the boil, stirring gently to allow a creamy sauce to form. Season to taste with salt and pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes before adding the chicken pieces. Simmer on a low heat for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. If the sauce needs thickening add a little more peanut butter, if it’s too thick add a little more chicken stock or water.
- Taste before serving and season further if needed. Serve topped with toasted peanuts and steamed vegetables.